Monday, September 10, 2012

THE 30 DAY WRITING CHALLENGE ~ Day 10 ~

~Day 10~HONORING YOUR INNER CRITIC~Chapter 8~


In this chapter Cecil presses in even deeper on the topic of the Inner Critic, only this time it's from the perspective of what he calls honoring. 
 
"Let's think some more about that censorious voice." writes Cecil. "For example when you were small, you developed a conscience or a voice that said, "Fire burns, Don't touch". If you jump off the top step, you'll get hurt. You listened (or didn't), and today you know those warnings are correct."
 
Cecil goes on to say, "That influence is constantly with you and never stops working. It's purpose is to keep you safe. In childhood, safety meant not getting hurt; in maturity, safety focuses on protective, inner issues. Isn't it possible that the insistent editor in your writing may be doing the same thing for you that your conscience does? The criticism may not always be correct, but it deserves your attention."
 
As I read through this chapter, I am reminded of other teachings and perspectives I have read on this topic. Some writers and teachers encourage us to quiet ourselves asking the question, "Is this the voice of God speaking to my heart or are these my own thoughs?" I have heard it said that our intuitive/creative side is the side of our brain that is more open to listening to the spirit of God. The logical/reasoning side is more in tune to listening to oneself. Acknowledging and working between the two is probably the most effective.
 
Cecil says, "Many can't seem to make peace with the interior editor and struggle endlessly. When I feel the conflict going inside my head, I say one sentence to myself. Occasionally, I have to say it several times, but it works: " I write creatively, and I edit analytically."
 
Cecil goes on to share other interesting stories and examples of how he has come to work with and nurture his inner critic. He says the biggest discovery he made--which sounds simple but quite revolutionary to him: "It's much easier to edit a page of writing than it is to edit a blank screen."
 
Cecil finishes the chapter by writing, "These days when that irritating voice speaks to me, I stop writing and talk gently to myself. It's all right. Today you're feeling a bit anxious or insecure, but if you'll be patient and let me finish, I'll help you slash as much of the manuscript as you like. For me it works."
 
The Aphorism for today is: I write creatively, and I edit analytically."
 
Until tomorrow,
Bless you,
Terilyn

 Aphorism: # 8        "I write creatively,
                                 And  I edit analytically."
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment