Sunday, September 23, 2012

THE 30 DAY WRITING CHALLENGE ~ DAY 23 ~

~Day 23~DISCOVERING YOUR RHYTHM~Chapter 21~


I guess the best way to describe the content of this chapter is to simply say it is about finding the best working methods for you to get your writing project complete before that dreaded DEADLINE!

Cecil gives different ways that we as writers go about getting our writing project from our heads onto paper. He writes, "All of us have different working methods, and I urge you to find whatever works best for you." 

Cecil gives examples of different ways writers go about this. There are the procrastinators that leave it until the pressure is on. Burning up the midnight oil working tirelessly on their project until the midnight deadline. Or there are the more organized type that make use of every free moment they have to get their project finished in good time. So which style best describes you?

I must admit I tend to lean toward working under pressure. I have a pattern that for now seems to work for me. For example, writing posts for this blog I read the chapter in the morning and jot down some thoughts. I then go to work at my day job. I mull things around in my head during the day (I guess they call that editing). After supper I sit at my computer and write with the hope to get the blog posted before midnight ...at least on this side of the world! 

Cecil says, "The best piece of advice that I can offer is to be who you are and live within your preferred way of doing things. You probably went through school and college with that pattern."

All I can say to that is, Cecil you just described my high school years. Whenever I had to write an  essay on a book I would simply read the back cover of it and ask my friends what the book was about and hope that information would be enough to write the essay. No wonder English was my worst subject! Now I love reading books and I love writing too.

Cecil refers to his grad school years. He writes, "I've always been fairly well organized, but I had to make every half hour count. I did it, but I wouldn't advise anyone to emulate my behavior." He goes on to say, "I carried that style with me into my career. When I began to write, I was a pastor of an exciting , growing congregation. I set aside one hour every morning before my secretary arrived. One hour. I couldn't sit and stare in space."

Cecil goes on to share that he would use situations such as travel time to edit inside his head. He writes, "These examples are to say that you need to find what works for you. Don't try to follow my pattern. You have your own rhythm, and you're happier and more prolific if you follow your natural bent."

My advice is don't follow my pattern either !

Cecil also goes on to say, "Writing, like any other phase of your life, needs to take on a rhythmic pattern. You'll have the low times as well as those days when your fingers can't type fast enough to stay up with your mind."

Taking hiatus periods have been wonderful for Cecil. It has given him a chance to rethink and refocus. He says, "Here's what I'd like you to get from this chapter: By pulling away temporarily, you can refocus and reassess your writing. You don't have to be productive every day."

Cecil shares that the best part of writing takes place inside his head. He says, "It's the thinking, discarding, rethinking, and absorbing more of life that leads to my best writing. That takes place long before words appear on a page." He goes on to write, "I remind you to be whoever you are and to follow your own natural bent. Don't try to emulate me or anyone else."

I hope you see what I see in between these lines. I see freedom, I see grace. I see guiding hands and a loving face!

The Aphorism for this chapter is : "I want to be the best me I can.
So I follow my natural rhythm, and don't try to imitate anyone else."

Until tomorrow,
Bless you,
Terilyn

Aphorism #21:      "I want to be the best me I can.
                                    So I follow my natural rhythm,
                              and don't try to imitate anyone else."












No comments:

Post a Comment